Monday, June 13, 2016

The Dirty Dozen vs. The Clean Fifteen

We try to buy organic when possible, but sometimes it's not worth the steep difference in price. So, when picking what produce to buy conventionally, I think about the Dirty Dozen vs. Clean Fifteen list you see below. This one was put together by the EWG (which I like to reference for sunscreen and skincare items). I have pretty much committed this list to memory, so I don't have to pull it up every shopping trip.

A good rule of thumb is to think about how thick the peel is on the produce, and whether you'll be eating that. I don't worry so much about buying organic bananas, because that is a very thick skin that the pesticides would have to penetrate. But, if I'm eating something that doesn't need to be peeled, apples for example, I try to go for the organic option. They tend to be smaller, but I'm okay with that!
www.ewg.com
A frugal tip: I like to buy my bananas at Trader Joes because they are sold by the item, not the pound, which ends up being cheaper than somewhere like Publix or Kroger!
 
Blog Makeovers by Tara