Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Review: Savvy Green Laundry Detergent

So, a couple of weeks ago I had the pleasure of having a lovely phone conversation with the creator of Savvy Green Laundry Detergent. Well, one of the masterminds behind the product, anyway! I emailed the company to inquire a little more about the product after seeing it in a Zulily email, and reading rave reviews on Amazon.

Imagine my surprise when I received a very personal email back from Rita Knorr! As a follow-up, we chatted on the phone about life and family and living a more sustainable life with the resources we have. She told me about how she used to make laundry detergent for her friends, making a mess of her kitchen, until one day, her friend proclaimed that they should sell this stuff! Long story short, they've been very successful, and now you can find Savvy Green laundry and wash detergent online and in stores (in Florida).
Rita so kindly sent me the powder laundry detergent to try, as she knows I use cloth diapers and will have newborn clothes to wash again very soon. Savvy Green has no scent, and a little goes a long way! My first test was the cloth diapers--I normally use Nellie's Natural Laundry Soda, but I had about a scoop left before I was going to run out, so this was perfect timing! As Rita indicated, the diapers came out with no smell (sometimes even after I wash them they have a bit of an "off" smell) and it easily cleaned the diapers to remove any stains (although that is not really an issue at this point--newborn poop will be the bigger test!)

You can see the scoop that comes with the detergent--it is quite small! I've been so conditioned to think more detergent equals cleaner clothes, even though I know that is not always the case. One little scoop of Savvy Green was more than enough on a large load of mine and my husband's clothes, which means this bag is going to last a long time--always a plus! I love the lack of lots of ingredients....cleaning should not be that complicated! Did you know most commercial laundry detergents are mostly water?
Last but not least, I appreciate that there are no phosphates in this product. James is very adamant that we eliminate phosphates from our house, but you don't realize just how many items have phosphates in them. Seventeen states banned phosphates from dishwasher detergents this year because the chemical compounds also pollute lakes and rivers. Do they clean? Indeed. But I think you also have to think about what happens to cleaning solutions once they are released into the environment.
I have been quite pleased with the job Savvy Green has done on my laundry loads, and I'm thinking about purchasing the dishwashing detergent to try as well! I almost forgot--the package is also recyclable, or can be re-used for other purposes as it is quite durable. Rita and her partner took their original product and have also created laundry pacs that are now available for purchase, if you'd rather just throw in a pack vs measuring out the powder. I don't think you get quite as much bang for your buck that way, though!

To find out more information about Savvy Green products, check out their website. You can order from Amazon, where the package above will run you about $15, and is good for 108 loads. That's $.13 per load, which is a decent price for laundry detergent that is practically homemade, but did not take me hours to put together. :)
 
Blog Makeovers by Tara