Friday, December 12, 2014

How We Get Free Anti-Virus Protection Year After Year

When James and I got married, one of the items we really needed was a new computer. Both of our laptops from our college days were old and haggard....in fact, mine completely died the weekend of our wedding, and James' was not far behind. Thanks to the help of my brother in law, we ended up building a desktop computer that has served us well. We have since purchased other electronics so we don't use it all the time, but it is handy at home. But, one thing you need on computers? Anti-virus software. For my husband it is a must. We learned from my tech savvy BIL that you can get anti-virus for free, and there is no need to pay for it. Say what???? I was a bit skeptical to say the least. But, we trusted his judgement and used Slickdeals.com to find a deal on Kaspersky Anti-Virus Protection. This was at least 5 years ago...each year, we search for the newest rebate (there is always a deal, you just have to catch the right "window" so don't wait until your current protection runs out--we made that mistake last year!) I don't want to jinx anything, but in that time, we've never had a problem on our desktop that Kaspersky couldn't solve, so we've become loyal customers.
Photo courtesy of Frys.com
I mention all of this because I just purchased the 2015 Kaspersky Protection that is good for 3 PC's. There are (2) $25 rebates that I will turn in, making the software free! I did have to pay a couple of dollars in tax, but with free shipping, I don't mind paying $1 per computer for free protection.  I have no affiliation with Frys.com or Kaspersky, just passing along a good deal since I know we're all probably spending more than we need to on Christmas presents. :)

Now, many folks complain that rebates don't work. I have always followed the directions very closely and never had any issues with not receiving a rebate. I wish this was just one instead of two, but again, I cannot complain about free protection that only requires a stamp and envelope. So, if you are in the market, I would keep an eye on Slickdeals.com and see what you can find!
 
Blog Makeovers by Tara