Thursday, October 10, 2013

Recipe: Penne Rigate

This is one of my favorite go-to recipes....my family got so sick of it growing up because it was just about the only thing all 5 of us would eat...until my sister quit eating meat. But, even still, it can easily be made vegetarian, and once it's prepped, it is easy to just pop in the oven, and feeds a small army! My 17 month old GOBBLED this up last night...I think he ate more than I did!

Oh, and how could I forget...this recipe is pretty darn frugal!

I estimate costs to be:
Sauce-.80 per jar, so $1.60 total
Pasta-.30
Chicken Sausage-$3.79 (used a coupon, of course!)
Cheese-$1.50 (used 2 coupons and got it on sale, this is an awesome price!)
Total:  $6.39 for easily 10 servings between both dishes, so less than $1 per serving

In fact, I divide the recipe between a 13x9 and 7 1/2x11 pan, and freeze one for later. It is such a great meal to take to a new mom, someone with an illness, etc, because it can easily be tweaked, freezes well, and travels well!

Penne Rigate

Ingredients:

1 lb penne rigate pasta
1 tablespoon olive oil 
1 package spicy Italian sausage (I used chicken sausage for this one since that's what I had)
24 ounces (2 jars-ish) spaghetti sauce (I like to mix two brands)
16 oz grated mozzarella cheese, divided

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350*
Cook penne according to package directions until almost cooked and drain

In a large skillet over medium heat, heat oil, then add sausage and cook to your likeness. Cut sausage into bite size pieces
In a big bowl, combine both jars of sauce and half of the cheese. Add cut up sausage and cooked pasta
Put mixture in a shallow dish (13x9)and put foil on top to bake for 45 minutes
Cover with shredded cheese and put back in oven for 5 minutes, or enough to let cheese melt. Let stand 5 minute before serving
 
Blog Makeovers by Tara