Monday, July 8, 2013

Recipe: Pork Chalupas

I found a recipe on Pinterest for crockpot chalupas, and they looked sooo yummy! I finally got a chance to make them, and while they didn't turn out quite like I thought they would, they were still delicious! I thought my 14 month old would love it....beans, pork and tomatoes, all foods he really likes. But, I think it turned out just a little too spicy for his little taste buds, even though it wasn't really spicy to me (and I don't like alot of spice!) Here is the original recipe from Pinch of Yum, with my changes I'd do for next time (or did this time) in bold. The first night my husband had 2 chalupas, I had 1, and the baby ate some. The next day we each had 1, so I'd say it serves about 6-8 people, depending on how big you like your chalupas!
Photo courtesy of Pinch of Yum (since I forgot to take a picture!)
Ingredients
  • 1 lb. pork shoulder (Mine was about 1.5 lb)
  • 1 lb. dry pinto beans (rinsed) (I used a can since that's what I had)
  • 6 ounces light beer (Used a bottle of dark beer since that's what my husband likes to drink!)
  • 1 15-ounce can fire roasted tomatoes
  • 6 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 jalapeno peppers or other hot chili, minced (ribs and seeds removed to keep it mild)
  • 2 teaspoons chili powder*
  • 2 teaspoons cumin*
  • ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper*
  • *AND/OR a tablespoon or two of taco seasoning
  • generous pinch or two of salt
  • 1½ cups water (will omit this next time-it was way to liquidy)
  • ¾ cup shredded cheese (I used cheddar, you can use any you like)
  • flour tortillas
Instructions
  1. Place the pork shoulder in the slow cooker. Cover with dry pinto beans, beer, tomatoes, garlic, jalapenos, chili powder, cumin, cayenne, taco seasoning, salt, and 1½ cup water. Cook on low heat for 6-8 hours or high heat for 4-6 hours. Don’t open the lid – it adds to the cooking time.
  2. Remove the lid after the cooking time and shred the pork using two forks. You can do this directly in the slow cooker. If it’s too runny, continue to cook with the cover off for a little while. If it’s too dry, add more water.
  3. Sprinkle cheese on top, replace the lid, and cook for another 30 minutes to allow the cheese to melt.
  4. Meanwhile, preheat the broiler. Place tortillas directly on the oven rack and bake for 2 minutes or until golden brown. Flip the tortillas and bake for another 1-2 minutes under golden brown and crunchy. Be careful because they burn easily! Remove from oven and allow to cool.
  5. Top each tortilla with pork and bean mixture and sour cream.
 
Blog Makeovers by Tara