Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Coconut Oil

Unfortunately we have been dealing with some rashes this week. One is caused by all the drool my little one is leaving all over his neck and clothes, the other is a diaper rash. I usually only change him once a night because it really wakes him up, but sometimes that causes a rash because the diaper can only hold so much!

I use cloth diaper safe rash cream, but usually I end up using organic coconut oil, because it does the trick almost immediately!  It's got great healing properties, especially for skin!  I have also heard that it's good for hair, every now and then.  I plan on putting that theory to work soon. 

I originally bought the coconut oil to cook with, as it generally better for us than fats like margarine.  But, I found it was making everything have a hint of coconut...and while I like the smell, I don't love the taste in everything.  So I was glad to learn about the many other uses as well.

This is the brand I have....bought from Amazon.  I haven't even made a dent in the 2 containers I purchased (they came together).

While there are literally a hundred more uses for coconut oil, here are a few:

-When applied directly to a bug bite, it can stop the itching and burning sensation
-Use it as chapstick
-Helps moisturize dry skin and relieves symptoms of dandruff
-Mix with sugar or sea salt and you get an effective exfoliator and safe to use all over the body
-All-natural, perfectly safe personal lubricant

Anybody used coconut oil for something different?  Or have an experience that was either negative or positive?  Please share!
 
Blog Makeovers by Tara