Friday, February 3, 2012

Crispy Sweet Potato Fries

I have tried making sweet potato fries before...it's the only way I'll eat 'em.  I really don't care for baked sweet potatoes, but I know they can be really good for you.  I found this recipe on Pinterest, and thought I'd try it.  Every time I've made sweet potato fries before, they came out kind of mushy...which I really don't care for.  I like them to be crispy on the outside, and a little soft on the inside...and this recipe looked like perfection.  Now, of course mine didn't turn out quite the same, but I'd say they were definitely better than my previous attempts!  I think there are 2 key differences in this recipe that helped to define the outer crispiness:

1) Don't put too many fries on one pan, or they just steam and don't get cripsy.  I ended up dirtying three pans...which I wasn't fond of, but it seemed to help.

2) Gently toss the fries in some corn starch, like you would fried chicken.

Here is the recipe, per The Art of Doing Stuff:

1) Gather your sweet potatoes.
2) Get some corn starch.
3) Also get some olive oil.
4) Cut your sweet potatoes until they’re a medium thickness.  Not hugely thick cut and not shoestring.
5) Let potatoes soak in water for an hour – half the day.  (not mandatory, but recommended)

6) Preheat oven to 425°
7) Throw a Tablespoon or two of cornstarch into a plastic bag.
8) Dump a handful of sweet potatoes into the bag with the cornstarch.  Twist the top of the bag so it forms a balloon with some air inside and shake the fries around until they’re lightly coated with the cornstarch.
9) Put your coated fries on a non stick cookie sheet.
10) Drizzle 2 Tablespoons of olive oil over the fries. (I added some sea salt and pepper as well)
11) Using your hands, make sure the fries are well coated.
12) Arrange them on the sheet again, so they have space between each fry.  The less fries on the pan the better they’ll cook.  Too many shoved together and they’ll never get crispy.  They’ll just steam.  Pop the fries into your preheated oven and cook for 15 minutes.
                                                                     Not bad, eh?
 
Blog Makeovers by Tara