Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Adios Plastic Bags!

I have been slack on writing "green" posts lately...although we continue to live the greener life, this pregnancy has really cut back my blogging...but I'm feeling better, and more determined to keep up the blog with both money-saving and eco-friendly posts! So here goes...
 
 I think we all know that it's best to use reusable bags. Right?

Did you know that there are an estimated 500 billion bags used worldwide each year?

I personally use all kinds of bags when I go shopping....here is a picture of maybe 1/4 of the bags that are thrown in my car....I'd show you all of them but my husband has my car today.
Most of my bags were $1 or less, some even free.  The purple is my favorite...it was free and is sturdy, a hard combo to beat! I also have a few Envirosax that I like and are much cuter than my "grocery" bags, thanks to a recommendation from my very good friend over at Hockey Puck, Rattlesnake, Monkey Monkey Underpants.

Did you know that reusable bags hold substantially more than plastic bags?
I have been using reusable bags for a few years now and in fact, remember my parents using a different version while I was growing up before they were hip.  I remember being embarrassed that nobody else brought their own bags to the store but us...but I'm thankful my parents instilled the importance of recycling, reducing and reusing in my head before I really knew what was going on in the world.

Although I love Target for many reasons, their coupon policy NOT being one of them, a big reason is their initiative to get customers to use their own bags.  If you do, you should receive a .05 credit to your purchase...that may not sound like a lot, but if you are hitting up Target for 1 or 2 things a week ( I know most people don't go that often, I'm just using whole numbers), that's 52 times per year, once a week.  52 x .05=$2.60 saved per year.  Alot of money?  No, free money?  Yes. :)

So tell me, do you use bags?  If not, why?  I used to forget mine, but then I started keeping them all in the car.  It's much harder to forget when they're strewn all over the backseat. :) You should totally try it!
 
Blog Makeovers by Tara