Friday, August 12, 2011

Pumpkin Apple Whole Wheat Muffins

I have a brunch to attend tomorrow and I promised 2 months ago I'd bring muffins...but when I promised 2 months ago, August 13th seemed waaay far off...but apparently it wasn't so much.  So I realized I needed to figure out what kind of muffins to take, and as I began looking up recipes, I found so many I wanted to try.  Unlike me, there are many bloggers out there who make their food creations look delicious...so everything looked super tasty.  And let's be honest, who doesn't love a muffin?  It's a cupcake for breakfast that's acceptable to eat.

Anyway, I found this recipe, and remembered that I had just enough pumpkin in my freezer that had been leftover from last fall/winter.  Why stores don't sell pumpkin year-round is beyond me.  I mean, they sell everything else, right?  Oh well. 

Here are all the ingredients you'll need:
First, combine flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice. 
Please excuse the brightly colored bowls...they were wedding gifts.  And although they work well, they don't photograph well!
 Since I didn't have pumpkin pie spice, I just threw a little bit of each of these together and created my own pumpkin spice!
Yes, I have spices from 50 different stores...yes, it drives me crazy! 

Then, combine pumpkin, egg, apple and vanilla in a smaller bowl.  Because this picture was so ugly, I decided to show it to you in black & white.  It really was that gross looking.  But, it did taste yummy!
Add wet ingredients to dry and stir until combined. Add 1/4-1/2 cup milk, then stir in melted butter.  Pop 'em in the oven at 350 for 20 minutes, and here's how they turn out!
Pumpkin Apple Muffins
makes about 12 muffins
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 egg
1/2 cup grated apple
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup pureed pumpkin
1/4-1/2 cup milk
3 tablespoons melted butter

Preheat oven to 350.
In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice. In a smaller bowl, combine pumpkin, egg, apple and vanilla. Add wet ingredients to dry and stir until combined.

Begin with adding 1/4 cup milk and stir. If batter is still thick, add additional milk. Stir in melted butter.

Spoon batter into muffin cups, about 3/4 way full.
Bake for 15-20 minutes.

 
Blog Makeovers by Tara