Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Making Marinara

As it is nearing the end of the garden season, we've had a lot of tomatoes ripen all at once...I took 10 off of the plant in 2 days, to be exact.  Granted, the tomatoes aren't as big as they were a month ago, and the heat has scorched the plants considerably, so I doubt they'll survive too much longer.  Since I don't like tomatoes raw, I figured I'd try to make some marinara sauce with them.  It didn't seem too hard, so I went for it...

In the recipe I followed, I needed to blanche the tomatoes first...something I'd heard of, but never done.  Basically, I just dropped the 'maters in a boiling pot of water for about 45 seconds, then put them in a bowl of ice.  This made them super easy to peel!  Apparently, the peel can give a bit of a grainy texture to the sauce, and I am all about some smooth sauce! Here's the mess I made of peeling the tomatoes and then cutting them in quarters to start the sauce.
Yes, I'm a messy cook.  I'm ok with that....I just wish I had someone to do the cleaning up after me!  Next I put some oil in the skillet, and some onion powder (because I despise real onions, but if you like them, now's a good time to add 'em!)

I let the tomatoes simmer in a boil for a few minutes...
And then added some fresh basil and oregano from the garden, salt & pepper, and a tablespoon of sugar to cut the acidity of the tomatoes...and let it simmer some more.  You would think 10 tomatoes might produce a healthy amount of sauce...
But not so much!  Turns out if you let it simmer, it simmers down alot!  This ended up making about a cup of sauce...which will go a little farther once I add some tomato paste to it when I get ready to use it.  It'll probably be perfect for the 2 of us...but that's about it!
 
Blog Makeovers by Tara