Friday, August 5, 2011

Homemade Hand Soap

In addition to eating more organic foods, my husband and I are trying to incorporate more natural products as well.  A while back I found a "recipe" for homemade hand soap, but I didn't have an empty container to use, and my frugal self was not about to go buy one when we have them all over the house. So, this past week we'd gotten down to a little bit of soap in an old Bath & Body Works bottle, and my husband was eager to get rid of it because "it wasn't his favorite smell".  Shocker.  This was a bottle I've had since before we got married. I almost threw it into the recycling after rinsing it out, but then realized I had a use for it!  And so, in about 30 seconds this morning, I made homemade soap.

It's really easy to make your own soap, here's what you'll need.

  • Foaming hand soap dispenser 
  • Castille Soap - I used Dr. Bronner’s brand… plus I can use Swagbucks to get it free on Amazon!
  • Tap Water 
I added a few squirts (probably about 1 tablespoon or so) and then filled the rest of the container with water.  So stinkin' easy.  And, I didn't make a dent in my Dr. Bronner's bottle!

Why not just buy soap when I can usually get it fairly cheaply you ask?

Other than it being super-cheap and extremely easy, homemade hand soap is much healthier than antibacterial soap.  Regular antibacterial soap contains a chemical called Triclosan. Triclosan kills both bad AND good bacteria… and that’s just the start of our problems with it.  It also contributes to bacterial resistance because bacteria who are naturally resistant to the chemical survive and continue to reproduce.So yes, using too much antibacterial soap is not good.  Even now and again, it won't hurt a thing.  I can put you in touch with my biology teaching husband if you have any more questions on the subject of bacteria... :)
 
Blog Makeovers by Tara